In 1980, a group of puppeteers from Quebec took part in the International Union of Puppetry (UNIMA) Congress in Washington, D. C. This event led to the dream of creating a Quebec association of puppeteers, an organization dedicated to the recognition and development of puppetry in Quebec. In September 1981, the dream came true: the Association québécoise des marionnettistes (Quebec Puppetry Association) was born.
History and Highlights
- Opening of the Maison international des arts de la marionnette (MIAM) in the fall of 2018
- Six workshops offered by the Association québécoise des marionnettistes (AQM) during the year 2018-2019 due to the Emploi-Québec’s grants
- First guided tour of the MIAM for its members and partners
- First session of the Popular University of Puppetry Arts (PUPA) in the MIAM
- AQM Members’ first Christmas party in the MIAM
- International Festivals Commission of the UNIMA Internationale metting and other Commissions mettings, Festival mondial des marionnettes de Charleville-Mézières, Charleville-Mézières (France), September 2017
- Gathering of puppeteers from Quebec during the Festival mondial des théâtre de marionnettes of Charleville-Mezières
- Two networking events for puppeteers with Quebec and international programmers during the Festival international des arts de la marionnette à Saguenay (FIAMS)and the Festival de Casteliers
- Publication of the magazine Marionnettes: The houses of puppetry in the world,edition 2017-2018, directed by Michelle Chanonat and launch at Théâtre Aux Écuries
- Discussion on the diffusion of puppetry in Quebec during the FIAMS
- Discussion on the current state of puppetry in contemporary theatre during the Carrefour international de théâtre de Québec
- Five workshops offered by the AQM during the year 2017-2018 due to the Emploi-Québec’s grants
- Videofor the World Puppet Day is made by the UNIMA Internationale where puppeteers from around the world say in their language “Together we create the movement!”
- Exhibition of Family Portraitsexhibition as part of the FIAMS
- UNIMA Internationale Council, Bochum (Germany), May 2018
- Donation of a Velvet brickfrom the puppeteers during the MIAM fundraising campaign.
- MIAM’s construction begins in 2016
- Meeting of the Three Americas Commission of the UNIMA Internationale, Havana, Cuba, December 2016
- Activities marking the 35th anniversary of the AQM in 2016: production of the video: « Un geste et la matière prend vie »
- Redesign of the website, addition of a “shows” tab where members can register all their creations available for the national and international tour
- Professional networking meeting, Festival de Casteliers, Montreal, March 2017
- European tour of the exhibitionFamily Portraits
- 2nd Professional Training Commission of the UNIMA Internationale, Targovist (Romania), June 2017
- Creation of a banner to promote Quebec artists, Festival Mondial des Théâtres de Marionnettes de Charleville-Mézières, September 2015
- International Festivals Commission of the UNIMA Internationale metting, Festival Mondial des Théâtres de Marionnettes de Charleville-Mézières (France), September 2015
- Professional Training Commission of the UNIMA Internationale metting, Festival Mondial des Théâtres de Marionnettes de Charleville-Mézières (France), September 2015
- First international meeting on the education of puppet arts, Festival Mondial des Théâtres de Marionnettes de Charleville-Mézières (France), September 2015
- Opening of the exhibition Family Portraiton Quebec puppeteers Mons, European Capital of Culture (Belgium), October 2015
- Professional networking meeting, Festival de Casteliers, Montreal (Quebec), March 2016
- Realization of Cartes Postalesproject to highlight puppeteers from Quebec and Canada
- Participation of UNIMA-Canada consultants from Quebec at the 22nd UNIMA International Congress in Tolosa and San Sebastian, Spain, June 2016
- Presentation of the Family Portraitsexhibition at the TOPIC in Tolosa, UNIMA International Congress, June 2016
- Submission of a Report on the renewal of Quebec’s 1992 cultural policy, as part of the public consultations organized by the Ministère de la Culture et des Communications du Québec, August 2016.
- Publication of the magazine Marionettes: The conservation of puppets,edition 2015-2016, directed by Michelle Chanonat
- Creation of the photo exhibition Family Portrait, a Quebec-Belgium project on Quebec puppeteers
- Professional networking meeting, Festival de Casteliers, Montreal (Quebec), March 2015
- Publication & Contemporary Writting Commission of UNIMA International metting, March 2015
- Cooperation Commission (Kanguru Project) of UNIMA International metting, March 2015
- International Festivals Commission of UNIMA Internationale meeting, Festival Materinka, Liberec (Czech Republic), June 2015
- Heritage Commission of the UNIMA Internationale meeting at FIAMS, Saguenay, Quebec, July 2015
- Publication of the magazine Marionnettes: Turning in Quebec and the World, edition 2013-2014, directed by Michelle Chanonat
- Redesign of the AQM website. The virtual directory of professional members is enhanced and the Web platform becomes bilingual
- Colloquium on the puppetry arts, December 1-3,2011
- Publication of the Proceedings of the Colloquium, a document that presents a summary of the discussions held during the first six workshops, followed by the proposals worked on during the last workshop and summarizing these reflections and demands.
- Publication of the Manifesto of Quebec puppeteers
- Publication of the magazine Marionnettes: Perspectives: History and stakes of Quebec puppets, 2012 edition, directed by Philippe Couture
- Soirée de l’ AQM, June 13,2012, organized in conjunction with the launch of Jeu 143 magazine, dedicated to a special dossier on puppetry entitled Planète Marionnette, directed by Raymond Bertin.
- 21st UNIMA Congress in Chengdu, China from 27 May to 3 June 2012. Several members of the AQM participated in the event as invited artists or delegates.
- The AQM participates in “Fresh Ideas in puppetry” in Toronto in May 2012, a puppetry gathering combining discussion and performance. Madeleine Philibert, General Coordinator of the AQM and Catherine Sirois, member of the Board of Directors, presented an overview of the Colloque sur les arts de la marionnette held in Montreal in December 2011.
- Publication of the document Enquête auprès du milieu québécois des arts de la marionnette, our first major national survey on the state of the puppetry industry in Quebec. This survey involved both the situation of individual artists and that of professional companies.
- Activities to mark the Association’s 30th anniversary in 2011
- Launching of the new AQM website, a collaborative platform at the cutting edge of the Web, an essential gathering tool for AQM members.
- Le Fil d’ Arianebecomes a newsletter.
- Development, with a special committee, of a questionnaire for companies and individuals working in the field of puppetry. The questionnaire will be used as a basis for the drafting of a portrait report. The latter will then be used to mobilize people around discussions at a symposium on the future of puppetry in Quebec.
- Committee formed as a flying brigade to study the feasibility of an International Centre for Puppetry Arts whose promoters would be Casteliers and the AQM.
- Publication of the magazine Marionnettes: The 30′ s: And, in the works, on tour… and in thought
- UNIMA-Canada Founding Assembly (Quebec and Ontario chapters)
- Large scale exhibition of Quebec puppeteers in Tolosa and Barcelona, Spain.
- Publication of an exhibition catalogue.
- Publication of the magazine Marionnettes, on tour
- The AQM moves into its new premises in La Cenne, on St-Laurent Boulevard.
- Establishment of a training committee that will work closely with other organizations and institutions offering training in the puppetry arts to meet the needs of the community.
- Publication of the Directory of AQM and UNIMA-Canada members, special 25th anniversary.
- Second edition (750 copies) of the CD-ROM Cédez à la marionnette!
- Involvement in the impacts of the boycott of cultural outings.
- Matchs of memorable improvisations during ASSITEJ Montréal-2005 and Journées de la culture.
- Publication of Cédez à la marionnette!, CD-ROM on current puppet theatre in Quebec and the 2004 Membership Directory.
- Launching of the new website
- Participation of our UNIMA advisors in the UNIMA Executive Council and creation of the North American commission.
- Reflections on the activities surrounding the 25th anniversary of the AQM in 2006
- Creation of the improvisation league MOMI, for Manipulations d’ Objets et de Marionnettes Improvisées.
- Collaboration with RAPThéâtre (APTP, ACT, TUEJ, AQM) to set up joint training projects (Producer 101, dissemination of the Guide du Passeur)
- Creation of a weekly electronic newsletter,Le Fil d’ Ariane
- Improvisation matches and special evening during World Puppetry Day on March 21 (Montreal), World Theatre Day on March 27 (Quebec) and Journées de la culture.
- Participation of our UNIMA advisors in the International Puppet Theatre Festival of Charleville-Mézières, at the 19th UNIMA World Congress in Rijeka, Croatia (Jacques Trudeau’s election to the executive), and in exchanges with Mexico.
- Hiring a general coordinator
- Chalet “on international distribution at the Théâtre Sans Fil (Wireless Theatre)
- First World Puppetry Day (21 March): advertising in the media and radio interviews
- Participation of Louise Lapointe, UNIMA Councillor, in a meeting of the UNIMA Festivals Commission in Bochum, Germany.
- Representation abroad by Jacques Trudeau, UNIMA advisor, at the UNIMA Executive Committee meeting in New Delhi, India, and at the Quebec-Mexico Mission at the Festival Internacional Titerias in Guanajuato, Mexico.
- Organisation of the symposium “Les Rencontres de la marionnette”: conference by Margareta Niculescu, president of UNIMA, and audio-visual conference by Basil Twist
- Publication of the special issue of Puppet in the cuff
- Moving of the AQM to the premises of the Théâtre Incliné
- Participation of Louise Lapointe, UNIMA-Canada (Quebec) Councillor, at a meeting of the UNIMA Festivals Commission in Charleville-Mézières.
- Representation abroad by Jacques Trudeau, UNIMA-Canada (Quebec), in Mexico and Spain.
- Beginning of work on videography, now a CD-ROM.
- Active participation in World Puppet Week and tribute to Felix Mirbt
- Presence of two members of the AQM Board of Directors at the 12th World Festival of Puppetry Theatres in Charleville-Mézières.
- Organisation of a “Chalet” with Jean Kaplan, director of the Marionnettissimo Festival in Muret.
- Appointment of Louise Lapointe, Councillor UNIMA-Canada (Quebec), as a member of the UNIMA Commission for International Festivals and participation in the first meeting of the Commission in June 2001, in Liberec.
- Temporary relocation of the AQM to the premises of the Théâtre de l’ Avant-Pays.
- Participation of 50 puppeteers from 18 different companies in the National Day Parade.
- Participation of the two Quebec councillors at the UNIMA Executive Committee meeting in Olinda, Brazil
- Participation of the AQM in the World Theatre Day at the Conservatoire d’ art dramatique (World Theatre Day)
- Launch, during the Festival Les Coups de Théâtre, of Le Parcours de l’ imaginaire, published in three languages
- Chalet “in preparation for the 18th UNIMA Congress and World Puppetry Week
- 18th UNIMA Congress, attended by an important Quebec delegation of artists and cultural agents and a mission of the Canada Council for the Arts.
- Re-election of Claire Voisard for a second term on the UNIMA Executive Committee
- Appointment of Micheline Legendre as an honorary member of UNIMA.
- Beginning of work on the monograph Portrait des marionnettistes du Québec
- Participation of the two Quebec councillors at the UNIMA Council meeting in Bucharest
- Appointment of Claire Voisard as President of the UNIMA 2000 Commission
- Organization of a “Chalet” for puppets with five Quebec authors: Gérard Bibeau, Marie-Louise Gay, Joël da Silva, Marie-Christine Lê-Huu and Claire Voisard.
- Participation of five companies in the World Theatre Day organized by the CQT
- Organisation of a “Chalet” with Grégoire Callies, director of the Centre Dramatique National d’ Alsace-Strasbourg.
- Active participation in World Puppet Week and the tribute to Micheline Legendre
- Organisation of the “Chalet” with Alain Moreau and Caroline Bergeron from TOF, Théâtre de Bruxelles
- Development of the international component of the website
- Consultation on training needs
- Organization of a “Chalet” with Fabrizio Montecchi of the Gioco Vita company in Italy.
- Organization of a “Chalet” with Marthe Adam, Artistic Director of World Puppetry Week.
- Creation of the AQM 2000 committee
- Organisation of a “Chalet” with Alain Lebon, CIRK’ UBU, France and Francesco Di Marchi (Mask Factor)
- Active participation in World Puppet Week in Jonquière and in the tribute paid to Pierre Régimbald and Nicole Lapointe.
- First participation in the World Theatre Day meetings organized by the CQT, under the theme “The first time I manipulated a puppet”.
- Organization of a “Chalet” with Ronnie Burkett (Alberta).
- Incorporation of AQM (OSBL)
- Creation of the website (www.aei.ca/~aqm)
- Organisation of a “Chalet” with Marcellina Jugurneau and Florentin Duse, Romanian puppeteers.
- Presence of UNIMA advisers from AQM at the 17th UNIMA Congress in Budapest
- Election of Claire Voisard to the UNIMA Executive Committee
- Preparation of the Quebec file for the UNIMA World Encyclopedia of Puppetry Arts.
- Organization of a “Chalet” with Dominique Violette, artistic director of Jonquière’s World Puppet Week.
- Participation in Jonquière’s World Puppet Week.
- The AQM newsletter becomes La Marionnette en cutte, and its distribution is broadened nationally and internationally.
- Drafting and launching of eight model contracts for puppeteers and a user guide.
- First “Chalet.”
- School-based interventions, in collaboration with the Ministère des Affaires Culturelles et de l’ Éducation du Québec.
- SIDEC grant for the feasibility study of the Québec/Charleville-Mézières project.
- Design of standard contracts for use by puppeteers, with the financial participation of the Ministère des Affaires Culturelles du Québec.
- Participation in Jonquière’s World Puppet Week
- Formation of the Quebec/Charleville-Mézières committee.
- Publication of the Study on the diffusion of puppet shows with the help of the Ministère des Affaires Culturelles du Québec.
- Celebrating the presentation of the memoirs of our colleagues Marthe Adam and Johanne Rodrigue.
- Publication of the Guide de ressources pour les intervenants dans le domaine de la marionnette au Québec
- Publication of the document entitled Analyse socio-économique du secteur de la marionnette au Québec, with the assistance of the Ministère des Affaires Culturelles du Québec.
- Organisation of a cabaret and conferences as part of Jonquière’s World Puppet Week.
- Seminar on puppeteer’s copyright rights
- Collaboration in a special issue on puppetry in the magazine Jeu
- Collaboration in the exhibition Le grand monde de la marionnette at the Musée de la civilisation de Québec.
- Production of a video on puppet making.
- Registration of the AQM under the name “Centre UNIMA pour le Québec”.
- School-based interventions in collaboration with the Ministère des Affaires Culturelles et de l’ Éducation du Québec.
- Membership in UNIMA
- Participation in the Montreal International Puppet Festival.
- Internship for professional puppeteers with Jan Dvorak of Drak Theatre, Czechoslovakia (in collaboration with UQAM and the Canada Council for the Arts).
- Colloquium on puppetry in educational, cultural and social settings and collaboration with the program of Perfectionnement des Maîtres au primaire de l’ Université Laval.
- Foundation of the AQM.