As part of its 40th anniversary celebrations, the Association québécoise des marionnettistes (AQM) is organizing a symposium in partnership with UQAM’s École supérieure de théâtre and Concordia University’s Department of Theatre. This event is an opportunity to open a plural and transdisciplinary dialogue with researchers, artists and puppet lovers, on the richness of puppetry practices and their multiple manifestations in the performing arts past, present and future. from yesterday to tomorrow.
Puppet perspectives on art and the world.
November 4 to 6, 2021
This symposium brings together :
- puppetry practitioners from Quebec, Canada and the Americas;
- practitioners from other artistic disciplines (theatre, cinema, dance, music, visual arts, digital arts, circus arts, performance, literature…);
- scholars and researchers from various fields (live arts, history, art history, philosophy, sociology, etc.).
The goal of this event is to celebrate the creative effervescence of the puppetry arts, from the origins of the AQM to the more recent interdisciplinary and cross-cultural explorations opened up by puppeteers from near and far. We propose three main topics of dialogue:
- The Old and the New: Crossing Paths;
- This topic explores, among other things, intergenerational dialogue and the links between heritage and emerging practices.
- Movement, image, objet: cross-pollinations
- This topic explores the transdisciplinary nature of puppetry arts, at the crossroads of numerous live and visual arts.
- Speaking up : diversifying perspectives:
- This topic examines how a more diverse group of voices express themselves through puppetry arts.
The symposium activities will take several forms:
- round tables;
- practical workshops;
- master classes.
How to submit a proposal for an activity?
Send a description of your communication or activity (250 words maximum), accompanied by a short biography mentioning your main publications/achievements or those of your organization (10 lines maximum).
Proposals should be sent to Vincent Ranallo (email@example.com) before May 23, 2021.